Thanks Andrew, Mat and Greg for all the replies. I'm obviously not the
first person to ask this question, and I did try to search the forums first
before asking, but I couldn't find anything that addressed just the state
of the TOC, as Mat alludes to above.

I made the change (that Andrew linked to) in my dev wiki first, to see what
would happen. I got a message saying...

*You are about to edit a ShadowTiddler. Any changes will override the
> default system making future upgrades non-trivial. Are you sure you want to
> edit "$:/core/save/all"?*

So let me make sure I understand what this means. Whenever I edit a system
tiddler (shadow tiddler?) I'm going to need to document what I've done, so
that when a new version of TW is rolled out, I can go back through my list
of personalisations and re-apply them to the latest version. Does that
about sum it up? Sorry, but, WTF?! I shouldn't have to alter the whole
underlying system just to make a simple interface change. I'm going to end
up with a huge list of personalisations to my wiki, and have to manage it,
curate it, and reapply each one with copy/paste whenever a new version of
TW becomes available. It would be far simpler to just go ahead and
personalise my own copy of TW 5.1.9 and never upgrade it again! I assume
thats why I see so many older copies of TW floating around online still,
because its easier to keep personalisations than to upgrade, is that about
right? I may be over-reacting to this, I often do. I have no experience
with upgrading TW yet, so please let me know that what I imagine from that
edit warning is not as bad as it seems.

*@Greg*: The link to Tobi's tiddler about States and Temporary Tiddlers
<http://t5a.tiddlyspot.com/#Autocollaps%20TOC> comes with this dire warning:

*Caution: Defining the wrong save-filter may have you unknowingly lose
> data!*

As I'm still very new to all this, and don't really know the structure of
the underlying TW system well, I'm probably better off avoiding that one
for now. But thanks anyway Greg.

And thanks *@Mat* for your wonderful feedback, which I have posted
<https://plus.google.com/104174671305083801031/posts/cjT5o58db66> to the
Google+
TiddlyWiki community
<https://plus.google.com/communities/117285869700890736959>. I'm glad that
my questions and observations are useful. Sorry if I seem like a grumpy old
man sometimes, but that's me in real life, haha. That macrocall to TOC
<http://tiddlywiki.com/#Example%20Table%20of%20Contents%3A%20Tabbed%20External>
is going to be very handy, BTW. I'm currently using unordered lists on my
tiddlers for linking to "sub-types", which of course are also listed in my
TOC in the SideBar. While I'm building my knowledgebase wiki, having the
static links on the tiddler is handy because I create the new tiddlers for
the sub-types by clicking on redlinks (oh how I wish TW would identify
missing pages with a red link, rather than italics, but I must remember
that TW != MW). But once I have my wiki in a more complete state, I'll
probably go back and make those static lists dynamic using the macrocall
you linked to above.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e36cd389-f87e-4111-aa87-0c65551da7f4%40googlegroups.com.