Hi Mat,

Before I dive into the response, consider tobibeer/rate
<http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#rate> for you to rate things like
movies or recipes in your own collections or to set flags, e.g. some
progress.

Apropo Tobias' New Plugin: tobibeer/rate ★★★★★
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/5ja_NXlGSaA> I'm
> wondering if anybody has any way to store a visitors rating without needing
> your own server?

I'm afraid not. It would require at least some new action-widget capable to
post some content to some server... which can later be talked to to
retrieve votes.
Perhaps you know of such a service that can be plugged.

And specifically;  could e.g Tobias' plugin be used on a *TiddlySpot *site
> and let visitors rate things (and after have an average calculated)? Or
> possibly a Github hosted TW instead of TiddlySpot.

The hosting barely matters, unless github or tiddlyspot had some rating API
to hook into... which neither have.

Just maybe there's some way to actually store the rating *externally *and
> also retrieve if rom there - e.g in my Google Drive or Dropbox?

Same problem: you'd need some sophisticated form to push the rating to
google forms. I wouldn't know if you can simply display spreadsheet data on
any site. I imagine you cannot.

Of course, if that would work it would probably not be limited to storing
> ratings, but I'm thinking that ratings is a very small amount of info so
> jus tmaybe there's some free service that offers this... somehow.... or is
> it just not possible...?

There is quite probably also that huge cross-domain issue where we can't
talk to some other server in the context of TiddlySpot or GitHub just like
that.

> (...and if more than a measly star rate could be stored we could really
> open up for cool stuff with votings and comments and... But I'll settle for
> a measly star right now ;-)

I remember similar questions remaining unanswered when I created rating
macros for TW2 <http://lastfm.tiddlyspot.com/#RatingMacroInfo>. In any
case, the architecture of that will be quite something else than what
tobibeer/rate <http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#rate> does atm.

Best wishes,

Tobias.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2835331c-183a-492f-829e-56db24d35374%40googlegroups.com.