Hi, David —

I highly recommend Tobias's setvars plugin.  It's gotten me through several
similar situations where I needed to evaluate or wikify field contents for
use in a macro.

As long as you're passing in a transclusion string (e.g., {{!!faction}}),
you can use this sort of sytnax:

\define macro(param)
<$setvars _myparam=$param$ myparam="myparam">
Do something cool with <<myparam>>
</$setvars>
\end

... and <$setvars> will fetch the contents of the field (faction) into
_myparam attribute, then create a variable, myparam, that you can use
throughout rest of the macro (up until you hit </$setvars>).  If you field
contains spaces, they'll be bound up as a single unit in the myparam value
your macro uses to work its magic.

Tobias pointed me to it when I was trying to set "fallback" values for some
of my macros.  You may be interested in the three tiddlers here:

http://tiddlywiki.secret-hq.com/testing/PassingFieldValueToListFilter.html#%24%3A%2FSecret-HQ%2Fmacros%2Ftestmacro*setvars:%24%3A%2FSecret-HQ%2Fmacros%2Ftestmacro*setvars%20%5B%5B%3C%3Ctestmacro*setvars%20foo%3E%3E%5D%5D%20%5B%5Bthe%20problem%5D%5D

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/790076ba-fa78-4a35-b1e4-d472ccffcf29%40googlegroups.com.