Works like a charm, I am very grateful to you all.
In the image, the checkboxes are in the top tidder in a table, when clicked
the data in the data dictionary held in the bottom tiddler is modified. All
nice and tidy which suits my OCD. No spurious fields, no extra tags.
Wonderful.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cPlbPIp99J4/V0yqMRMaCCI/AAAAAAAAIVs/TTQArnXaWv4paocKKFqkKxIkdID56PNIgCLcB/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-30%2Bat%2B22.00.29.png>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/55db912d-b365-4847-ad17-8789408dec23%40googlegroups.com.