.....I deleted all references to 'edit-comptext' from using the search but
message continues.

Might I be better off starting from scratch with an empty 5.1.12 version
and then import the tiddlers from the defective wiki into it, perhaps using
Jed's "Tiddler Bundles" http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/TiddlerSchools/?

If so, what filter would I use?

Thanks
Jon