What I wrote is a much simpler version of the toc macros. So using that
wouldn't really make it simpler. And the toc macros are set up to do a specific
thing and aren't flexible in the way that would let you do what you want. I
think it is possible using the macros, but you would need some interesting code
and it would be more of an experiment in strange coding than something usable.

So ,now your questions:

!has[parent] in the filter means tiddlers that don't have a parent field

<<currentTiddler>> is a variable used by tiddlywiki, you can copy and paste
exactly what I posted.

{{ ||...}} is transclusion as a template. It is what let's the toc and other
things have an arbitrary number of sub items instead of coding a set number. It
is sort of analogous to a function in other languages.

is[current] refers to the current tiddler, it means use whatever the current
tiddler is.

description is just some field, if you want it called something different it
can be changed.

A field can have whatever name you want. They are name:value pairs. There are
some common to all tiddlers but you can add any you want. The ones used by
almost all of them are: title, created, modified, text, tags, creator and
modifier

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/bd1e5edc-94e5-495d-bb48-03b31b64e6ac%40googlegroups.com.