On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 8:49:51 AM UTC-7, Chris Jordan wrote:

> Using Chrome, can I get the Save to default to the current name? Currently
> each Save defaults to a new name, and the current tab does not update.

sort of....

First, set Chrome to *ask where to save* instead of defaulting to the
preset Download location:

1) open Settings
2) scroll to the bottom
3) choose "show advanced settings"
4) scroll to "Downloads" section
5) select "ask where to save each file before downloading"
    Note: you can leave the default "Download location" unchanged
(typically, "C:\Users\YourName\Downloads")

Then, each time you save your document:

1) A standard system "Save as" dialog box will appear.
2) Select the desired folder location (where the current file is stored).
 Note: The folder location will be remembered for subsequent saves.
3) The filename will default to the current name with "(n)" appended, e.g.,
"index.html (1)".
4) Click on the existing filename in the file list display, e.g.,
"index.html".
5) Press the "Save" button
6) Press the browser reload button (keyboard shortcut = F5)

Note: You can skip steps #3 and #6 above, leaving the "(n)" suffix intact,
so that it creates multiple checkpoint copies while you continue working in
the current document.  When you are ready to reload and test your changes,
open the last checkpoint copy, verify that everything is OK, and then save
again, omitting the "(n)" suffix.  You can then clean out the checkpoint
copies.

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman