Ciao all

There are parts of this that are also responses to Riz, Matt, Jed & Mark. S.

I'll make a few comments that have bearing on this discussion ... and,
hopefully, next steps.This repeats a lot of themes that will be obvious to
many on TW but think its useful to especially keep the context very clear:
Namely, a HUGE issue is simply the DYSFUNCTIONAL nature of GOOGLE GROUPS.

1 - RIZ is accurate in highlighting that many threads within this group are
ALREADY (implicit) steps to documentation and that LEVERAGEING off that by
getting those existing worthy threads compacted (explicitly) into...

 (a) statement of the ISSUE to solve;
 (b) the SOLUTION;
 (c) archived in an ORDERED way you can find them
  = One economical, time sparing, way forward.

IMO, THIS approach makes intuitive sense and perhaps has more chance of
working than previous documentation efforts.

2a - PART of the issue at (1) is that this GOOGLE GROUP, though good for
ongoing discussions, is SERIOUSLY DEFICIENT as an archive. Its EXTREMELY
difficult to find relevant posts from the past because there is NO TAGGING
of posts used (at the moment) and the search mechanism is VERY CRUDE...

2b - ... further, take this discussion we are having... In the months I
have been in this group I have read and commented in several extensive
discussions of DOCUMENTATION ISSUES. I have seen people come and go with
attempts at addressing them. I have seen people create TW's aimed at
helping beginners that then disappear from any awareness they existed.
Sustained TRACTION did not happen. I think a large part of that is the
MEDIUM for documentation needs to be...

 (a) sustainable;
 (b) uses one location / mechanism;
 (c) exists independent of any one writer;
 (d) is designed optimally for documentation;
 (e) is easy for beginners to use.

2c - NOTE: WE, right now, in this very discussion, have not gone back and
looked at previous discussions of this topic and cite them because the way
the Google Group archive works is TOO UNWIELDY. OUR behaviour also
instances the issue--NOT leveraging off what is already discussed and
known. Result: Danger of re-creating the wheel.

Documentation is the OPPOSITE of this behaviour, its meant to end
unnecessary going round things again & again. The medium you are in MATTERS
to the outcome. Fact is Google Groups is CRAP at cumulative ORDERED
knowledge. I believe that is a BIG part of the cause of the problems TW's
users face over "missing documentation". Its not so much it has not been
created (missing, as in "never existed"), more that is in BURIED fragments
lost & dispersed in Google Group history.

3 - END the RECREATION OF THE WHEEL. The enthusiastic energy that people
put into asking questions and replying to them is huge in this group. The
good will to help is unrivaled.

BUT I see enormous redundancy over time where many questions & issues are
VARIATIONS of something asked a ZILLION times before. In short, Google
Groups eat their own history. SO documenting what is useful needs, to be
sustainable, to be CONTEMPORANEOUS with resolution of issues in the Group,
and needs to be saved elsewhere in a well indexed/tagged way.

Re-read (1) above.

4 - TWEDERATION. MATT, JED & MARK S. There has been discussion of whether
Twederation is an appropriate medium for documentation. Whilst I think it
could be eventually be a vehicle to shared documentation I'm very skeptical
if it should be the first stop on this. Why?

 (a) for beginner users, who most need documentation, TWED is not yet
integrated enough into basic TW. It's in danger of being CATCH-22 ... "...
you can't get to the documentation until you have read the documentation on
how to get to it.";
 (b) it would have to work transparently; such that the new user would need
to do virtually nothing to set it up;
 (c) As far as I understand it, Twederation is not dedicated to
documentation alone and all the issues of how you "document documentation"
(vital to usage; you must be able to find what relevantly answers ones'
queries) are not touched on at all yet. In short there are ...
   (i) TOO MANY UNKOWNS right now;
   (ii) It NOT OPTIMAL for beginners as is.

So, my conclusion: Though TWED is a really great innovation it's a thing of
the far future as far as the documentation issue goes IMO.

I feel bringing TWED into this debate without a finished product demoing
how it could optimize documentation is muddying the waters.

Riz's suggestion of using extant systems like MediaWiki still seems in the
right kinda direction. A properly designed TiddlyWiki could also do the job
though it would need an update mechanism for contributions and people to
maintain it to be sustainable. And that has proven a big issue in the past.

I will comment on the USE CASE points that MARK.S raised in a later email.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f0ccf533-c9de-40fc-a434-a96452c26355%40googlegroups.com.