Hi PMario,

> In this case the paragraphs "have no right" to modify the behavior of the
> list. The list needs to define its behavior. If the paragraphs do it, it's
> a side-effect, which basically is just "weak" CSS.

My response was not about paragraphs doing unexpected things in different
circumstances, but rather the ability to have paragraphs be of a defined
type, rather than "fixing" whatever they contain.

> IMO the solution is, to completely redefine how the CSS defines margins in
> a consistent *and nestable* way. At the moment that's not the case. So we
> encounter problems with some edge cases and we need to design workarounds
> instead of solutions.

I would think, being able to address a given paragraph directly instead of
its contents, will do away with a few inconsistencies... and whenever you
use a negative margin, chances are you were just not able to properly
address the element you actually wanted to define.

> The problem with solutions is: They are not backwards compatible, which is
> a no go for Jeremy.

Not entirely convinced there isn't a backwards-incompatible way to assign
classes to paragraphs.

However, playing a bit more with paragraphs and their margins, I've come to
think that using the list-links macro inline as you have with a class is
actually the only way to handle this. Otherwise, the problem is not only
the margin of the paragraph that wraps some output, but rather the bottom
margin of a preceding paragraph. So, to avoid that, you are forced to have
your content parsed inline, with all the consequences, e.g. having to use
actual html rather than wikitext. What do I mean? Try these two, and you
know what I mean:

title: Test

Some list... {{Foo}}

title: Foo

* foo
* bar
* baz

So, Ideally, we would want to be able to have content parsed in block mode,
but without the paragraphs ...and perhaps only linebreaks.

Maybe there would be a way to have wikitext rendered that way, as opposed
to either inline mode or block mode. Fwiw, using triple quotes doesn't do
the job.

This could be a syntax to trigger that behavior:

@@!
Always render in block mode but do not render paragraphs, but linebreaks
instead.
@@

Best wishes,

Tobias.