> Isn't that what the TOC macros already do for you?

Sort of. But they seem to want me to commit to a single 'container tag'.
It's a bit hard to explain, but imagine tiddlers with <title>: <tags> as
follows:

answer: Contents
question: Contents
annoyances: answer, question
osx: answer, question
Stop OS X from spamming thumb drives?: annoyances, answer, osx, question

If I put this in the 'Contents' page:

    <<toc-selective-expandable 'Contents' sort[title]>>

the result is (sorta) close to what I want, but there are a few issues:

   1. The last tiddler shows up in the TOC tree *four* times.
   2. I had to *manually* create a 'dummy' tiddler for each topic, and tag
   it with 'answer' and 'question', which doesn't seem very scalable.

I'm sure this is expected behavior, it's just not ideal for what I had in
mind. What I'd really like is for questions tagged with 'answer' to only
show up under the 'answer' branch of the TOC. They can occur there multiple
times—once per 'topic tag'—but they shouldn't be listed anywhere under
'question' if they're also tagged with 'answer', and shouldn't be
duplicated in the rendering of the 'question' and 'answer' tiddlers
themselves. And I'd rather not have to manually maintain a taxonomy of
topics/tags.

Admittedly, this may be an XY problem <http://xyproblem.info/>. Perhaps
there are better ways to manage this information than to create a
'stateful' table of contents. I just tend to start each day asking, "Okay,
what questions am I trying to get answered today?" I'm open to suggestions
about other ways TW can help with this.

In the meantime, Tobias' xlist plugin looks like it might help, so I'll
give it a try. Thanks!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAMAb8ZPQ2bpGgUyrWP-xExmTCCGZSdF2rrnPcscvEJaJcGVKEQ%40mail.gmail.com.