I switched to the node.js version for just this reason. My single,
standalone HTML versions got too big and I began experiencing a lot of
problems merging the changes I'd made in separate tiddlers that git's
diff-ing did not readily identify. I began doing a lot of manual editing of
what was effectively TiddlyWiki internals. The tiddlywiki --server -
tidders as separate files concept - instantly solved those, and several
other problems. Tiddler files are much more amenable to the use case I
share with you "TiddlyWiki on multiple machines, and in order to
synchronize changes between them..." I rely on git.

Since I've switched to the node.js version I've begun taking another simple
but dumb approach: when I have a tiddler that I want to share between
tiddlywiki servers I simply create a symbolic link in one to the master
version of that tiddler in the other. My TiddlyWiki's are beginning to get
a lot more intertwined as a result. (I just need to remember to restart the
servers when I merge changes.)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/489d8a4e-4451-4f0c-8cdd-f465f1a12664%40googlegroups.com.