Thanks PMario

It makes sense. Thank you. I do think SVG & TW are a very good fit & it was
the right choice to go that way for interface elements.

For my own stuff, rather than make loads of individual SVG Tiddlers I was
thinking of using the <symbol> method to hold many related SVGs in one
Tiddler. This enables using the ViewBox to display them in an easier way
than other approaches. And you avoid loading a TW up with zillions of
individual image tiddlers which become hard to manage.

*However, there is an issue, perhaps. *

The easiest way to access "symbols" within an SVG (i.e. a discrete image
with a "wrapper SVG") is to use ID's. *But I suspect this may conflict with
TW basic working?* There is another method using the co-ordinate system of
viewport and viewBox but it starts getting very complicated.

Before I start trying to work out details of how to do this I'd appreciate
any comments you may have.

The "reference system" looks like this:

A <symbol> definition example within an SVG (its largely independent of its
parent) ...

<symbol id="shape-icon-2" viewBox="0 26 100 48">
    <!-- <path>s and whatever other shapes in here -->
</symbol>

The HTML call to it is, in theory, easy ...

<svg class="icon">
  <use xlink:href="#shape-icon-2" />
</svg>

Best wishes