Managed to make it work with two modifications:

<$list variable="parent" filter="[all[current]tags[]!limit[1]]">
   <$list filter="[title<parent>tagging[]before<currentTiddler>sort[list]]">
      prev: <$link><<toc-caption>></$link>
   </$list>
   <$list filter="[title<parent>tagging[]after<currentTiddler>sort[list]]">
      next: <$link><<toc-caption>></$link>
   </$list>
</$list>

For some reason limit[1] yields the last tiddler not the first and my toc
is sorted by list field

I don't understand what `variable` list widget parameter is generally doing
(or specifically here either...). Does it just declare a variable and puts
filter result into it? Do you just separate and abstract the common filter
part with it or is it for something else? I have two tags on a tiddler I
call it from. When I transclude it within the list it yields the resulting
tag, but when I remove the !limit[1] part it regenerates both inner lists
for each of two resulting tags. Wierd. Does it work as an iterator of sorts?

Not exactly what I had in mind as this requires the thing to be present on
every entry rather than on the toc tiddler. But I'll try to adapt your
solution to that as well and post here what I manage.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0953a9d9-8aff-468b-9050-5f9c6988708b%40googlegroups.com.