If you make a tiddler tagged $:/tags/Stylesheet and add this content:

.tc-edit-texteditor { background-color:lightblue;  }

then after closing and re-opening the editor, the background text will be
light-blue. You can set it to some other color of course.

I don't understand what you want on item #2. Perhaps someone else can help.

Good luck,
Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/7f13ea1f-d424-481c-b61d-7f147d6fab05%40googlegroups.com.