For the benefit of the order, I found it by creating a new tiddlywiki and
importing tiddlers from the old in batches, slowing down when I got to
special tiddlers (those starting with $__). When I imported
$__plugins_skeeve_newtiddler_SkeletonExample.tid, the tag showed up. Here
is the ext of the .tid file (saved in node.js tiddlywiki)

created: 20131218133637784
creator: Stephan Hradek
field1: $(f1)$
field2: $(f2)$
modified: 20170714184423967
modifier: Stephan Hradek
tags: $(tag1)$
title: $:/plugins/skeeve/newtiddler/SkeletonExample
type: text/vnd.tiddlywiki

This is some test: $(placeholder)$

So the tag  "$(tag1)$" was creating the weird tag. The funny thing was,
even if you edited the tiddler and tried to remove the tag, you coulndn't.
When I removed it in the text copy of the .tid file and imported again it
was fine. No more weird tag.

I think I made a tiddler of his code at one point in time while trying to
emulate some of the functionality and probably put a tag in the tag field
that was not really a tag???

Anyhow, case dismissed, thank you all for your suggestions.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/7c4bddf9-f6fa-492b-9b82-41961d190e27%40googlegroups.com.