Hello all.

Glad to see that more people is getting interested by NoteSelf.
I'm sorry to read people is having some trouble. To be honest, the new
Cloudant policies have hit the NS community hard. However, I have plans to
mitigate this problem (see below).

I want to make some clarifications about NoteSelf. It is not just a plugin,
neither just a database for your tiddlers, it is an entire product and it
is not fair to call it "just a thing to use a remote database". It has many
features that are not only saving tiddlers automatically, and if you try to
port all of those to "just a database" you will lost many of them. For
example:

- Revision history. You can see the different old revisions of your
tiddlers, and restore them if you want on a more or less nice interface.
- Offline support. You can use NS while you are offline, no network
connection required, and changes will be synchronized automatically when
you come back online.
- No need of backend. Yes, syncing requires a backend, but you don't need
any remote database if you just want to use NS. You can even use the normal
TW workflow (downloading files) and use NS as an intermediary cache-step
for automatic saving.
- An hybrid android app. It may not be spectacular, but works fine and it
is better than using any browser.
- A system that allows you to install plugins without saving a new HTML file

I am happy to see that other people is taking inspiration from NS to build
their own solutions, that's fantastic, but have in mind that NS is more
than just a database.
Also I want to remind you that what makes an open source project strong is
it's community. If each user tries to create their own solution, then we
will end with dozen half-baked solutions. If you think that NS is lacking
some small detail, don't hesitate to file a pull request to add that
feature you are missing.

*For all those users using or interested on NoteSelf:*

I am working on a project to bring easy login flow to NoteSelf. It will use
a passwordless approach, so you will not need to remember a password
neither registration.
You will input your email and hit login, then we will generate a random pin
with a small lifetime (say 30 minutes), then you input that pin on NoteSelf
and we will provide you a long-term authentication token that will be
automatically managed by NoteSelf.
At first the service should be considered beta, will be free and only one
database per user will be provided.
I would like to know your opinions on this approach, if you like it or not
and if you will use it.
There will be a section for novice users, for being able to use this
easy-automatic workflow, and I'll keep a section for advanced users that
want their own couch servers.

Regards

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/291ba966-1749-419f-879e-9b28d2b1dd1a%40googlegroups.com.