I haven't tried Cherrytree. But I've tried lots of others: Org-mode, zim,
wikidpad, treepad, cintanotes, simplenotes, evernote ... others I can't
remember.

Is your file called "empty.html" ? I don't think a new "empty.html" should
be appearing if you are saving successfully through Arlen's system -- it
doesn't on mine.

What browser are you using? What operating system.

TiddlyWiki is actually just an HTML file with javascript. It can not save
itself without help from some other service. Up until about February TW had
a great plugin that allowed the Firefox web browser to save anywhere to the
hard disk. The community rallied around and came up with 17 different
approaches to saving. For local saving, there are now two alternative
plugins for Firefox (and maybe Chrome) that allow saving to a named
sub-directory of your downloads directory. Here's information about the two
plugins:

https://github.com/buggyj/savetiddlers
https://github.com/pmario/file-backups

You might think that saving to a sub-directory of your downloads directory
is limiting, but there's a trick you can do using symbolic links (called
Junctions) that can create a "linked directory" below your TW save
directory which in turn points to any directory on your local hard drive.
Here's a page that talks about junctions:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

If you navigate the path formed by the symbolic link in your file explorer,
the browser is tricked into thinking that it is saving to sub-directory
below the downloads directory, and the save can proceed. You can even
create a link to your local dropbox file directory (well, I assume you can,
but I don't use DB that often).

On your mobile device, I think you would use your browser and not your DB
app if you wanted to use Arlen's TWITS approach. But (and I could be wrong
here) you would need a good data plan, since it depends on a web connection
for saving. An alternative is to  use AndTidWiki -- assuming you're on
Android. Then inside your DB app you can click on your file, select
AndTidWiki as the launch application, and after that save as you normally
would and it will be saved and synched with dropbox.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a223cd81-51d7-437b-8171-792cf60c6706%40googlegroups.com.