Before the idea of "external memory" (writing, then computers) we had the
"art of the locus". First mentioned in Ancient Greece.

This method of organising information uses associative memory. A computer
before computing. Typically one would visualise a complex building with
alcoves, statues, pathways and other VISUAL markers. You'd rehearse the
environment in mind till it got stable. Then you'd associate points in it
with things you needed to remember.

For instance, to recall a telephone number of Jennifer you'd maybe
associate her image and number with the left knee of the visualised statue
of Michaelangelo's David. It works.

One of the problems with "modern memory" is its crap ... externalisation of
memory (via various techs) increasingly obviates the need for internal
cognitive practice. Without that you end in dependency on tech. I'm not
convinced that is entirely healthy.

One of the things that interests me about TiddlyWiki is whether it could be
used to foster a VISUAL memory system too.

Modern computing is driven by text. The "other" soft-edged-signifiers,
visual, sonic & movemental meaning, have, still, a secondary place.
Probably because they can't be ordered to order.

It might be interesting to create a TW where all navigation is through
images.

Just wide thoughts
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5643c937-2756-4460-bee6-1267479f8f5c%40googlegroups.com.