Josiah,

I agree "It might be interesting to create a TW where all navigation is
through images." and for the reasons you state.

But I do not agree with *'One of the problems with "modern memory" is its
crap', *because it is the best its ever being. This outsourcing allows us
access to a greater amount of knowledge, some times we need only remember a
word or phrase to encapsulate a complex concept eg tiddlywiki.

Yes, we do under-utilise some aspects of natural memory and even memory
systems you can learn, and yes a failure to remember the subtleties behind
external knowledge can make us dumb to important knowledge, but to suggest
on balance the result is worse, or crap as you suggest, is a complex
argument both of us will find difficulty arguing our position. However my
hunch is we can do more than ever today with knowledge, memory and thinking
due to these external, global and networked knowledge which makes a big
part of our knowledge universe.

Not withstanding the above we can already see how returning to our evolved
cognitive functions bares fruits, take icons and touch screens as an
example.

Navigation through images is but one, using smell in recollection, or face
memory or track memory may be even stronger. How do we learn a song, or
music, or language? all these offer enormous existing subroutines we could
use to advance our connection with the virtual worlds of knowledge.

Track memory is a favourite of mine, it is how we learn to find our way
back, or along the same path a second time, it supports real world
navigation but also the next 5+ steps, we rarely look where we step, we
tend to look some steps ahead and an unconscious system puts the feet where
they should be. Have you being bush walking recently?

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/26edda7f-7908-4949-a0b8-e3e9ede46217%40googlegroups.com.