> I think this is a bug I stumbled upon previously. Is java script free of
> bugs?

Javascript gets pounded on by millions (billions?) of users every day. In
the vein of "Gödel, Escher, Bach", there's bound to be some bugs in there.
The question is, how long does it take before you encounter an actual bug?
In the case of TW5 and spacing problems, I have code from 4 years ago where
I couldn't get the spacing right and just gave up on it. Having to squeeze
out all the space in order to make something work then makes WikiText
harder to read than javascript.

As someone who is yet to learn java-script properly, it is the shortest
> path for me to use wikitext.

It's just a simplified c-style language. A reference book on my shelf is
from 1996, only 8.5* x 5.5" x 1/2 inch thick, and mostly still relevant
today. It's not like Java with tightly maintained data types.

But how would you reproduce the list filter structure of tiddlywiki in
> javascript, I expect it could be quite poor at replacing this structure.

JS has all the control structures that you would expect from a modern
language, including *switch*, *while*, and *for*. An array data structure,
object modeling, text manipulation and a full math library. Think how often
we've needed or wanted some type of numerical control in TW5. To do
anything involving basic arithmetic, you have to use someone's 3rd party
kit, because there's nothing relating to numbers as filter operators beyond
very simple functionality.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/77d8e248-e954-403f-b0f9-cf28e5083373%40googlegroups.com.