Thomas,

I think you are right, when you place such developments in a community it
changes a lot, here is however leakage, when people can't find good prior
work, but community is always a multiplier effect.

I would add however this is even in relation to your future self. A
productivity improvement now, can inform another productivity improvement
in the future. As I commonly point out if you try and keep what you do in a
reusable form this may take 10% more effort to do so, however in the second
instance it may take 50% of the effort. The benefit is realised in only one
similar case.

   1. Build a productivity improvement 1 hours effort to achieve according
   to the provided table. Add 6 mins to your effort to make it reusable (10%
   more)  = 1:06h effort
   2. Build a second productivity improvement by making use of the Prior
   reusable solution (1) 0:30 mins (half) of the effort (if 1 was not
   reusable), (make it reusable +10%)  Total Effort so far 1:39 of a possible
   2hrs
   3. Build a third productivity improvement  based on one or both of the
   previous improvements perhaps 20mins, + 10% to reusability = 22mins so now
   we are benefiting from diminishing costs. 2:01hrs effort rather than a
   possible 3hr investment.

Each of the above still return the benefits reflected in the table.through
repetition.
You can change the cost and benefits of reusability in various ways and you
will almost always be ahead.

I have spent 100's of hours with tiddlywiki, but now my productivity has
skyrocketed.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/733a074d-ed0c-4694-81f1-0c755cef0167%40googlegroups.com.