You are correct, the file is a JPEG with an SVG overlay. However, while I
understand the file is quite large, I also know that such functionality is
possible, because I based my method on this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WJU4Foku98

As you can see, he creates a jpeg + svg hybrid, with the same interactive
functionality as is desired. The tutorial uses wordpress, however when I
attempt to embed the file into wordpress using the tutorial (and perhaps I
need to watch it again, it has been a few days), I get the same response,
where the image is static rather than dynamic as desired, and as
illustrated in the video.

After dipping into the code, it looks like the problem is that TW keeps
tossing the image into an img tag, rather than as an svg tag, but I'm not
sure how to rectify this issue *and *format it properly on my own.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0d861cfa-5c23-4e1c-a4a1-8835a50129ce%40googlegroups.com.