It seems that, right now, the main problem is that I can't get TW to
reference the image in a format that works. Even if I change the content
type to `svg` and copy-paste the contents in, it still nests it within an
img tag, which kills all interactivity, regardless of whether it's defined
in a stylesheet or using Inkscape's funky method.

Do you know a way of inserting images that uses the svg or object tags,
rather than the img tag?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/33d1fdc2-236f-4f7b-8c0b-e6445c6b58bd%40googlegroups.com.