Hi Tony,

I did think about your OP again and had a look about the "table based"
implementation, that you linked to. ... It should be possible, to use it,
together with BTCs solution.

Instead of reusing the existing PageTemplate that overwrites the core, we
create a new one that is table based and includes the header and footer CSS
settings from your first link. We still can re-use the elements of the core
PageTemplate, but it would be independent.

have fun!
mario