I didn't try out anything but here are a few thoughts:

   - Do browsers accept any size of a webpage for all it's tools and
   operations? I.e might some thing kick in or turn off in browsers at a
   certain stage? Might TW in particular trigger or or off something that
   browsers rely on? If I understand, we have a special relationship to
   javascript that is atypical.
   - Could perhaps unused *fields *in the standard templates be removed?
   - You've probably already ensured this is not the problem but; When my
   wikis (that are only a few megs) slow down it is, I believe, typically
   because of nested loops (e.g nested listwidgets).

<:-)