coda coder,

> ... now I have to police the text at the character level to watch for
> innocent sloppy spaces which will "break" the flow

Which objects do you use in Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5?

> HTML deals with sloppy spaces itself - something that's been around for
> what... >25 years? This idea breaks that.

I follow the official Markdown syntax reference page
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax> of the "markdown
language" creator John Gruber. According to this Wikipedia Markdown
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown> page, this happened in 2004.

The detail that interests us here can be found under "Block Elements",
"Paragraphs and Line Breaks" in the 3rd paragraph, see the following
excerpt:

[image: 28-09-_2019_17-25-16.png]

And in HTML there is an extra tag to preserve white spaces:

<pre>
> Text in a pre element
> is displayed in a fixed-width
> font, and it preserves
> both      spaces and
> line breaks
> </pre>

(w3schools.com) <https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp>

I'm trying to find the location in TiddlyWiki where the white spaces
characters are removed from the <pre> tag. This happens before parsing. I
found this while debugging so far:

$tw.Wiki.prototype.deserializeTiddlers

[image: 28-09-_2019_17-43-39.png]

But even here one space is missing. But this space is definitely present in
the HTML file and also in the tiddler in edit mode.

Can you help me out here too?

Regards
Cd.K