On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Martin Budden wrote:

[code as the engine of change]
I would also like to see this happen. Indeed it is one of the things I
tried to get going (but based on developer branches in subversion
rather than code forks (in, say, git)). When I started working on
TiddlyWiki I made a lot of effort to try and get people to use
subversion so that it would be easier for them to be involved in the
development process. Unfortunately there was little take-up. I did
have some minor success in that I managed to get all of Osmosoft using
subversion (and this was no mean feat - software configuration
management was not in the bones of any of the original Osmosoft team,
apart from Paul and myself). One of my regrets is that despite my best
efforts I never managed to persuade Eric to use subversion.

One option we might consider is that once the github move has
happened gatekeeping a bit more strongly around pull requests _the_
way to submit a patch. In these modern times I don't think that's too
much of a burden, especially given how much handholding github will do
if you let it.

Participating in version control is a broadly accepted best practice.

It has worked _very_ well with TiddlySpace and TiddlyWeb.

2) I think the move to github will make development easier, but in
itself won't change the perception of Osmosoft's priorities. The old
adage: "Don't expect a technological change to solve a social problem"
applies. I welcome the move to github (it will make core maintenance
easier), but I don't expect it, in itself, to change perception.
Having said that, introducing new working practices along with the
change to github, can change perception.

I see the move to github as a lubricant that will allow (has already
allowed) an increase in dialog and it is that dialog that will both
change perceptions and introduce improved practices.

If we're lucky.

3) "There are about 350 tickets described by one report as active."
The trac ticketing system is used by things other than TiddlyWiki. The
"really" active tickets for TiddlyWiki are those on the roadmap: 3 for
milestone 2.7, 81 for milestone 2.7.1 and 11 for milestone 3.0. Now I
agree that that is too many (and an effort to prune them is underway)
- input on which tickets to prune has been solicited.

I think this points out one of the problem with the trac and svn
setup. The roadmap isn't really relevant or visible unless you are
already in the game. When you look at it, a lot of milestones show up
and their relative importance is not clear. It isn't obvious where
effort is being applied or how best to apply effort if you want to
join in.

Instead, what is obvious is that there are a very large number of
tickets, some of them very old, suggesting a lack of health.

4) "The point is that ticket handling and management, the social
process surrounding tickets, is _broken_." Agreed. Any suggestions on
how to revive this process would be welcome.

From the people I've spoken with, both in private and public, the main
theme I've heard is that the turnaround time from contributing a
ticket to seeing results is far too long, and over repeated instances
drives the person to lose any urge to ticket again.

--
Chris Dent                                   http://burningchrome.com/
                                [...]