Hi,

I have spent most of the last two weeks battling with tigervnc built
from source on x86-64 kubuntu 9.10

The results are pretty good and certainly provide the basic tech support
functionality I was looking for.

However, I think I have found some significant bugs that you may want to
look into.

1. display :0 size is not detected correctly
2. Bandwidth auto-detection is badly wrong in the context I am running.
3. performance is very poor unless I compress the the ssh link.

What I built:

x86-64 build using ubuntu source pkgs for xorg-xserver copied onto the
tigervnc-1.0.0.tar.gz tree.

  ./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2"  CXXFLAGS="-g -O2" FFLAGSS="-g -O2"  \
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions"  --disable-xvfb --disable-xnest
--disable-xorg

Target hardware:

HP laptop using Intel GM45 and i915
from Xorg.0.log it loads i956_dri.so and used Modeline 1366 x 768

VNC context:

All tiger vnc software is run on the remote kubuntu box via ssh from
local linux system.

r...@local# ssh -C -X  -L 5900:localhost:5900 remote.dyndns.info
r...@remote:~# vncviewer localhost:0

The bugs:

1. This works pretty well but the vnc server sends 1366 x1366 . Nearly
the double of the correct size , the extra being a black areas below the
desktop image in the client window.

2. The F8 connection information shows an estimated bandwidth of 20000
kb/s . This must not be testing the right thing. The link via internet
is about 380 kB/s on remote and and only 88kB/s on local. 20Mb/s must be
looking at localhost on remote.

3. I have to use compression on the ssh link to achieve reasonable
performance. In this context 24b colour is a pretty sluggish but
functional. 256 colours is usable provided there's not animated content.

Starting ssh without -C , it takes about 2 minutes [sic] to redraw the
desktop.

What I have is not tops but adequate for remote tech support. As such it
is satisfactory, but I think I have probably pinpointed a couple of
issues that may have been outside current test contexts.

If you would like more details on the conditions that produce these
errors, please get back to me.

Best regards.