On 03/04/10 10:06, DRC wrote:
> ti...@piments.com wrote:
>
> Did you see the follow-up message indicating that you are running the
> vncviewer in the wrong place?  I think that explains all of the problems
> you were having, including why the bandwidth was being mis-detected.  In
> fact, it wasn't being mis-detected.  It's simply that you're trying to
> run vncviewer on the same machine as the VNC server.  You need to run
> vncviewer on "local", not "remote".

Yes I did. That was indeed the problem.

I posted thanks to Henry Wong but it was send from the wrong account and
got held back by the list.

So what I said in my earlier post was correct. The fast transaction was
happening locally within the remote machine. Apparently you
misunderstood when I suggest this.

Funny no-one spotted this before, I took trouble to indicated the
context in my posts.

This is probably soooo obvious to those used to this sort of development
but needs documenting better.  I read the man page it's because I didn't
know. After reading it I'm no wiser.

from man xvnc
        -localhost
               Only allow connections from the same machine. Useful if
you use SSH and
               want to stop non-SSH connections from any other hosts.
See the guide to
               using VNC with SSH on the web site.

I don't know what web site that referred to historically but there's
nothing in the way of doc on the tigervnc web site.

The man entry probably needs updating.

It's unfortunate no one spotted this earlier, but a big thanks to Henry
for saving me wasting any more time struggling.

Anyway , now all is working well (with the excpetion of the 1366 x 1366
desktop) and the software is pretty efficient. So many thanks to all who
have contributed over the years.

best regards.