On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 02:23:05PM -0500, DRC wrote:
> On 5/14/10 6:16 AM, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > I was able to built TigerVNC with MinGW as well on Windows, btw :) (but only
> > with GCC 3.4.5).
>
> You didn't encounter the autotools problem I described?

If I remember correctly I was able to built TigerVNC with no problem.

> >> I understand everyone's general aversion to Visual C++ and the desire to
> >> have an integrated build system, but it also seems really bad that the
> >> only viable way to build the Windows code is by using Linux.
> >
> > To be honest, you are right I don't like Windows as a development platform,
> > but more real problem is that I don't have a Visual Studio license and
> > I don't want to pay for it only due TigerVNC project.
>
> This is a fallacy.  There are many free ways to get Visual C++.  I have
> been successfully using Visual C++ Express Edition (a free download) to
> build VirtualGL and TurboVNC for years.  Visual C++ Express Edition 2010
> just came out.  These free editions are really what open source projects
> should be targeting, if they choose to have a Visual C++ build environment.

Interesting, this is the first time I hear about a free Visual Studio
environment. I'm going to test it and if there is no problem with it I
will reconsider my disapproval of the Microsoft Visual build
environment. I just wonder how this free version differs from their
commercial version and if there is no collision with their license.

> > I see Visual Studio as an advantage only if one of the TigerVNC
> > developers use Windows & VS as a primary development environment,
> > which is probably not our case (if I read mails correctly you use OS X
> > and me, Pierre and Peter uses GNU/Linux). In my opinion you can safely
>
> I use everything.  I have Windows systems, Linux systems, OS X systems,
> Solaris systems, you name it.

With "primary development environment" I meant the preferred OS which
you use for development. I, of course, also have different OSs but I
usually only test software there and don't use them for "writting the
code" :)

> > use former MinGW with GCC 3.4.5 even if it is slower than MSVC,
> > "production" builds of TigerVNC will be built with GCC 4.4 or GCC 4.5
> > which are better than MSVC. But as I wrote above, if you would like to
> > resusciate VS build system and maintain it, feel free to do it, you
> > have my vote.
>
> Well, this is kind of the fundamental problem.  Whereas I believe
> something needs to be done, that doesn't mean I necessarily have time to
> do it.  :)
>
> In my case, the most expedient thing is probably going to be to get
> MinGW running on a Linux machine, because I have a ready supply of
> those.  Most people won't, though.
>
> Don't get me wrong-- I like the concept of building with MinGW.  I just
> think it isn't ready for primetime yet.  This discussion is meant to
> solicit ideas for how we can deal with the problem in the near term.  In
> the long term, MinGW will have an integrated installer, the
> CLSID_ActiveDesktop problem will be fixed, etc.
>
> Maybe the right thing to do is to re-target the VC++ build environment
> for Visual C++ Express Edition and then maintain that until MinGW is in
> a more reasonable state.  We can still do "official" builds with MinGW,
> but I don't think it's reasonable to expect casual developers to be able
> to set that up.

As I wrote above I will test MS Visual Studio 2010 Express. If it will
work fine then I will update *dsp build scripts and I will start to
maintain them, it shouldn't be so hard. I agree with you that for
Windows only developers Visual Studio environment is more natural and
will bring more manpower to our project.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.