On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM, DRC <d...@virtualgl.org> wrote:

> On 5/18/10 5:35 AM, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > I just tested the MS Visual C++ Express 2010 and I have to agree with
> > you the "code compatibility" is a valid point. Visual C++ prints bunch
> > of stupid warnings, like "hey, this function is not thread safe".
> > Seems that non-threaded Windows program is simply a piece of crap...
>
> Make sure you are building with the following compiler switches:
> /MT /W3 /wd4996 /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
>
> That should get rid of most, if not all, of the stupid warnings.  The
> newer versions of MSVC warn you if you are not using the "safe string"
> functions from Microsoft.  These functions replace the standard
> sprintf(), etc. and are designed to prevent buffer overruns that could
> open security holes in the code, but they are not cross-platform
> compatible.
>

> > 2. Brush over Visual Studio files and port them to Visual C++ Express
> 2010.
> >    We can call this system as a secondary. I guess it's ~15 mins work.
>
> I will be glad to tweak this once you have checked it in initially.
>

> > 3. Try to improve MinGW to stage at which we can say "Hey, Visual C++
> >    doesn't have any advantage over MinGW so use MinGW".
> >
> > Especially the CLSID_ActiveDesktop problem is currently tricky on
> > Windows and I don't think that unexperienced developer can build
> > winvnc on Windows via MinGW.
> >
> > What is your opinion about it?
>
> Yes, I think that when the CLSID_ActiveDesktop issue is pushed out into
> the stable MinGW build and when they have a more reasonable installation
> mechanism, we can definitely revisit eliminating VC++ support.  Maybe
> the performance of the build tools will have improved in that timeframe
> as well.

What I don't get is why we're using autotools if our goal is to be cross
platform. I would have thought that CMake would have been a better option.

Perhaps a better idea would be to replace the buildsystem with CMake and
make it possible to build entirely self-contained? That is, any libraries
that are needed on windows could just be compiled along with the binary if
the dependencies are unavailable to link to.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that might work, wouldn't it?