On 9/2/10 9:50 AM, Adam Tkac wrote:
> This type is, by default, disabled on the server. It must be enabled
> via commandline parameter (-SecurityTypes). Client has it disabled as
> well but if user specify he wants to use it (and server has Plain type
> enabled) then it is used. If it is client's first sectype then it is
> preferred over more "strong" mechanisms (TLS, for example).

IMHO, the correct behavior should be that if the server enables this
security type before other security types, then the client should use it
unless the user specifically passes the -SecurityTypes parameter to the
client to disable the type.  IOW, I think the Plain type should be
enabled by default on the client but not given priority.  I agree that
it should not be enabled on the server without an explicit override.

Here's why-- let's say a SysAdmin wants all users to use Unix login, so
he/she has configured the server such that it only supports the Plain
type, and presumably he/she has taken other security measures to ensure
that only SSH-tunneled VNC connections can be made.  Under this
scenario, if someone tries to connect using the viewer, it will fail to
authenticate unless they explicitly enable the Plain type.

I am thinking in terms of how to implement the same types of
authentication scenarios that TurboVNC customers are currently using.