Den 2009-05-28 15:44 skrev Pierre Ossman:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:26:42 +0200
> Peter Rosin <p...@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>
>> Maybe WMVi should be documented first then, so that there is no
>> window of opportunity for "bad" implementations, but it's probably
>> good enough if WMVi is documented soon(ish).
>>

> Didn't you point me to a somewhat decent description on some wiki? That
> should be fairly easy to clean up and merge.
>
>> Let's commit the dang thing and worry about WMVi later...
>>

> Will do. :)

Hmm, typical that you get the new ideas after the commit, but I
thought of a pretty neat generic trick to ask a server if it has
a certain capability w/o using any new security type like the
tight protocol extension.

First the client declares it has the capability using a pseudo-
encoding. It then asks the server if it has this capability by
issuing an empty (width and height both zero) FBU request. The
empty request has a FourCC embedded in the x- and y-position.
If the FourCC matches and the client has declared support for
the capability, the server is free to start using the extension.
The server might at this point simply add a pseudo-rect telling
the client that the server is in on it, leaving any further
action to the client.

For ExtendedDesktopSize the FourCC might be x=0x4578 y=0x4453
or spelled out "ExDS". Or something...

The only drawback I can think of is that some server might
not respond at all to empty update requests, even if non-
incremental, and then you'd end up not nowing if you have
one or two outstanding FBU requests and then it's not 100%
safe to issue a change in pixfmt.

Have I missed something obvious?

Cheers,
Peter