Hi all,

>> I think the point Colin is trying to make is that he wants to stick
>> to xvp as that name has already been exposed, google has indexed it
>> etc etc. Changing the name this late will only cause confusion.
>>
>> So, instead of trying to find some (poor) expansion of xvp, we just
>> leave it at xvp and describe what you can do with it (and maybe
>> include a note about where the name originated for the curious, but
>> in that case state that the uses are more general than the original
>> name implies).

Peter has got my point: there's already been discussion on the Citrix
mailing lists, and I made public a self-contained spec for the
extension, in a style to match the RealVNC spec:

  http://www.dur.ac.uk/c.c.dean/xvp/rfb-extensions.html

both using the "xvp" name.

Re Pierre's point ...

>> +See http://www.dur.ac.uk/c.c.dean/xvp/ for details of the reference
>> +implementation, which allows shutdown, reboot and reset of virtual
>> +machines running on Citrix XenServer.
>
> Does this page add anything to the protocol definition? We don't have
> official reference implementations for anything else, so I'm sceptical
> about adding one here.

... I put this wording in at Daniel's suggestion.

Can I suggest we probably have spent enough time on this thread (!) and
ask somebody to sign off and apply my most recent patch (from Friday
evening)?

Thanks,

Colin