On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Peter Rosin wrote:

Besides, didn't we agree on that there is no such server that sends strings with the "ANSI CODE PAGE"?

No we didn't, we agreed on that for the desktop name.

Refresh my memory - which other strings are sent as "ANSI CODE PAGE"?

I thought we came the conclusion that besides the DesktopName, we only have the ProtocolVersion and the reason-string. I'm fine with nailing these to plain ASCII, if this is what you prefer.

And besides, *clients* are using all kinds of ASCII compatible encodings, and will happily display whatever they receive using their selected encoding. If we say "MUST use UTF-8" in our spec we declare all those clients incompatible, and I for one don't wish to do that. They

We are not. It's just that clients that relied on recieving the DesktopName in something else than UTF-8 was "on their own" and relied on unspecified protocol behaviour.

were "legal" yesterday with the RealVNC spec, and I think they should be "legal" tomorrow with *both* the RealVNC spec and our spec.

Strange language. We are not forbidden any clients. It's true that a few clients could theoretically start rendering the names incorrectly, but...

If it is so natural with UTF-8 and if it really is the only sane choise
(I think it is), it's enough if our spec says (e.g.)

        It is strongly recommended that all implementations use
        UTF-8 for all strings (except explicitely stated otherwise)
        to ensure interoperability. But be prepared that not all
        implementation do, so fail gracefully if you receive
        something else.

instead of (e.g.)

        All implementations MUST use UTF-8 for all strings (except
        explicitely stated otherwise). But not all implementations
        do, so you SHOULD fail gracefully if you receive something
        else.

I just don't see why the wording with MUST/SHOULD is so superior
that it is worth rendering existing implementations incompatible
with our spec.

This is ok with me. I don't think there's any difference in practice.

Everybody fine with such a wording, and with fixing our clients so that they interpret the strings as UTF-8?

Regards, ---
Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00