All --

Thanks for all the comments.  It must be a slow afternoon/evening!!!

You've given me several things to check out. In addition, as I was looking at the hardware in the basement I now have a suspicion that it might be a cable problem, specifically in the cable that goes from the 5061A PPS output to the TIC input; that cable might have moved when Jody opened the control panel door on the standard and if it was marginally faulty, it could create a transient. A transient lasting several hours is a bit odd, but who knows...

I want to keep things in stable state for another day or two to get my offset value at this C-field setting, and then I'm going to test both the cable, and the other hypotheses you all have suggested.

Thanks,

John