Tom Van Baak wrote:
That's what I was intending doing, although the adjustment as far courser than ideal on a counter with 11 digits.

Many of us use HP 5370A/B's as *time interval*
counters; typically to precisely compare two 1 PPS
sources.

In this case the 25 ps rms single-shot resolution of
the counter is the key feature, not the 11-digit display,
nor even the quality of the timebase. You're 10811
OCXO can be off by huge amounts and you can
still get perfectly accurate 1 PPS TI measurements.

Hi Tom,
I was aware of the accuracy of the timebase for TI measurements is not that critical, and TI measurements were my reason for buying the 5370B rather than a normal frequency counter.

However, the fact remains the 5370B is a better *frequency* counter than any others I have, so having the oscillator as close as reasonably practical, without necessarily having to have it locked to a GPS unit, would be useful to me.

-- David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/
of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/