Bruce Lane said the following on 01/20/2007 11:33 AM:
> Good morning,

> On 20-Jan-07 at 09:36 Mike Suhar wrote:
>
>> Not so.  Even Windows time service uses UTC so the local PC must have the
>> time zone set correctly for the hour to be correct. If this was not the
>> case
>> PC in remote offices that sync with our Ohio based domain controller would
>> only get eastern time.  I don't think our California based employees would
>> take to kindly to that.
>
>       What I'm getting at is that (as one example) all the systems on our
> network are configured to set their clock according to NTP broadcast messages
> that are sent from the time server (a Symmetricom/TrueTime NTS-200) on our
> LAN.
>
>       This means that our systems will listen for, and set themselves to,
> whatever the 200 puts out as a time message, no matter what time of year it
> is. It is easily possible to disable the automated DST changeover on both
> Windows and *nix-based systems.
>
>       So: Given that, and assuming a similar configuration, I still believe
> that many places will only need to make sure their time server is set
> correctly.

Bruce, I may be misreading you, so apologies in advance, but NTP talks
only UTC; it has no concept whatever of local time zones.  Any
conversion to DST has to happen on the client boxes; if they don't have
the right dates in their timezone file (no matter what the OS), there's
nothing that NTP can do to override that.

John