Palfreyman, Jim L wrote:
> Are there actually US people on this list who actually continue to
> advocate the use of non-metric units in their country? Speak up!
>
> Well the USA ever go metric?
>
> As an Australian, why would I care, you may ask?
>
> Well because of the dominance of the US market, some things can be sold
> here using imperial units. My biggest beef is televisions. Some (mainly
> CRTs) are sold in cm. Others (plasmas and LCDs) are marketed in inches.
> You walk into a shop and you a greeted with dual units. It is terrible!
>
> The key to making metric work is to completely chuck out the use of
> non-metric units. Having to convert is the hard bit. We've been metric
> for 35 years and still having to convert from inches to cm because of
> the United States is so annoying!
>
> I find it hard to understand why a country as advanced as the US sticks
> with such an antiquated system. I don't get it.
>

> Jim Palfreyman

Jim

The US has been metric since 1988, however the continued use of
customary units during the indefinitely long transition time is the problem.
Fundamentally it seems there is a lack of political will to place a
definite cutoff date on the use of customary units.
With the supposed current emphasis on SI units in the education system
hopefully the use of customary units will vanish with a generation or two.

One would have thought that with the advent of computers using the
"survey inch" and related units for new surveys would have vanished by now.

Bruce