----- Original Message ----
From: Bruce Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:33:40 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Comparing Reference Accuracy

Stanley Reynolds wrote:
> Disabling all the GPS receivers at the same time would allow a comparison of
> the hold over of each. As we are also logging the temp and power some changes
> in these would also help determine how "good" each DO is as far as stability.
> Stanley

You still need a frequency comparison scheme with sufficient resolution
and low intrinsic noise (perhaps 1E-12 or better at 1sec).
Since the long term average frequencies of the various oscillators are
not necessarily identical in hold mode, a phase comparison scheme with a
relatively wide dynamic range is required to avoid frequent phase wrapping.

Bruce

With the default settings the reduced VE2ZAZ controler would count all
160,000,000 pluses in a 16s period, phase is not measured so it has no wrap
just the +-1 count.
Looking at the orginal Brooks Shera design you would not need the DAC chip and
any neg power requlator to use it as a measuring device. And the clock U7
ECS300S-24 could be shared between the multi sets of boards. I'm not sure if it
could be adapted futher for this meassuring task.

<inserted another post>