----- Original Message ----
From: Bruce Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:01:27 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Comparing Reference Accuracy

Stanley Reynolds wrote:

>> Disabling all the GPS receivers at the same time would allow a comparison of
>> the hold over of each. As we are also logging the temp and power some
>> changes in these would also help determine how "good" each DO is as far as
>> stability.
>> Stanley
>>

> You still need a frequency comparison scheme with sufficient resolution
> and low intrinsic noise (perhaps 1E-12 or better at 1sec).
> Since the long term average frequencies of the various oscillators are
> not necessarily identical in hold mode, a phase comparison scheme with a
> relatively wide dynamic range is required to avoid frequent phase wrapping.
>
> Bruce
>
> With the default settings the reduced VE2ZAZ controler would count all
> 160,000,000 pluses in a 16s period, phase is not measured so it has no wrap
> just the +-1 count.
> Looking at the orginal Brooks Shera design you would not need the DAC chip
> and any neg power requlator to use it as a measuring device. And the clock U7
> ECS300S-24 could be shared between the multi sets of boards. I'm not sure if
> it could be adapted futher for this meassuring task.

If you can live with the resultant degraded performance.
The point is that the resolution is at best 100ns single shot with a
10MHz clock.
This can be improved by using a higher frequency clock.
However using say a 1GHz clock introduces significant engineering/design
problems if 1ns resolution is to be achieved.
If you persist in not using a synchroniser, as they do, then calculated
averages are biased.
If the system noise isn't around 1 clock period other "interesting"
artifacts occur.

The performance is inadequate for characterising even a moderately good
oscillator with a 16s gate time.

When using an interpolator the required system noise level for unbiased
averaging is significantly decreased to a few interpolator LSBs.

Merely counting the number of pulses in a fixed gate time is inferior to
high resolution timestamping every Nth zero crossing of the frequency to
be measured.

Bruce
Some references I found.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HPJ/is_n1_v40/ai_7113244/pg_5