On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:06:02 +1300, "Steve Rooke" <sar10...@gmail.com> wrote:

>2009/1/1 Mark Sims <hol...@hotmail.com>:
>>
>> Note that there is an error in the first column heading in Lady Heather's
>> Leap Log.  It says UTC...  should be GPS.  The three line hour timestamp
>> comment is correct (UTC).  The distributed version of the program logged
>> only time-of-week.  I added the HH:MM:SS yesterday but messed up the column
>> header (boy is Lady Heather gonna be mad when She finds out).  The random
>> spacing is due to Billy Gates Quality Control...  he still can't figure out
>> where to put CRs and LFs in an email...
>
>Well, POSIX decided on LF, Mac on CR and Billy Boy decided to hedge
>his bets with both LF and CR. It's little wonder I always get a lot of
>double spacing here then :-)

But billy boy never did anything original.  He copied CP/M, Intel ISIS and
other early OSs.  I argue that THEY got it right, separating a carriage return
from a line feed.  In the good old days, there were lots of times when one
would want to advance a line feed without moving the carriage or vice versa.

I know the *nix argument that the line terminator ought to be a single
character and can't argue too loudly since I CAN put the port in raw mode.
Still, that requires programming, as opposed to just creating or editing files
and cat'ing them to the printer port.

John
--
John De Armond