Brooke Clarke skrev:
Hi Magnus:

The improvement is probably due to a noise figure reduction from use of the LNA if it's near the antenna rather than at the receiver end of the cable run.

A number of assumptions is wrong there...

I have an active antenna (Novatel GPS 502), followed by about 30 m of RG-58 which initially went straight into the Z12 using only a BNC to N adapter.

The LNA is inserted along with a passive splitter (with DC through from one of the ports) at the receiver end of the 30 m RG-58. The non-optimum setup makes the passive splitter enter before the LNA, but the passive splitter is just a poor bias tee.

So I am pretty sure that the improved S/N is mainly from gain and secondary from improved noise figure. I don't know the noise figure of the Z-12 antenna input.

If I had a passive antenna this type of arrangement would be even worse, but luckily I didn't start out there...