Bruce Griffiths wrote:

Rex wrote:
Now, back to the subject of heat, I have a strange observation that I
posted on the web a few years ago. A few people thought they had seen
the same thing, but most thought what I noticed was not real. I posted
because, if it was true, it seemed unexpected and I had never heard
anything that could explain it.

I was welding or heat treating steel. Imagine a steel bar about 1 inch
(2.54 cm) in diameter and a foot to 18 " (30-40 cm)  long. The bar is
clamped in a vise and with a torch one end is quickly brought up to
red heat. The other end is still cool enough that with my bare hand I
can hold the bar by the cool end and carry it into the next room. I
carry it there to cool it in the sink. A stream of cold water turned
on, I quickly cool the hot end in the water. My observation, from
doing this several times, is that the cold water quickly absorbes heat
from the red end, but also seems to chase a lot of the heat quickly up
toward the cold end, making the bar rapidly uncomfortable to hold. So
that's my observation. I think the sudden cooling of the very hot end
has somehow chased a glob of heat toward the cool end. If true, I have
no explanation. I don't think it is related to steam; it seems to me
to be something happening inside the bar.

Most people thought it was coincidence of heat propagating up the bar
just at that time, or steam. Could be, but I still think it is real.
The cold end of the bar was slowly getting warmer as I carried it, but
after the sudden cooling of the hot end, the cold end seemed to get
hot fast.

I meant to try an experiment with two bars and dual thermocouples, but
I never got around to it. The main problem is getting things close
enough to compare without questioning the heated states. My plan would
have been: attach two themocouples to the cold end of two identical
bars. Heat the two other ends rapidly to red heat (that is the very
hard part to get right and balanced) and then just cool one bar
rapidly while recording both temp profiles of the cold ends.  If I
figure out how to do the heating quick and balanced, I may still try
the experiment.

So I started with a bit of complaining about the rambling of the
thread, and now I've rambled it in a whole nother direction. Sorry, I
guess.

Rex

your experience with the hot bar is quite common.

Bruce

Bruce,

Good to hear someone with your credentials validate my "heat-chasing" observation. I am not aware of anything in common physics that explains the phenomina. Is there some kind of thermodynamic or atomic explanation? Got any leads?

-Rex