John Miles wrote:

Rex

your experience with the hot bar is quite common.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable manifestation of the Leidenfrost effect.
The water in contact with the hot end of the bar vaporizes, and the
resulting steam layer (which might be microscopic) does a good job
insulating the bar.  There's nowhere else for the heat to radiate or conduct
to, except towards the cold end of the bar.

-- john, KE5FX

John,
You too never cease to impress by providing bits of knowledege I've never heard about. Leidenfrost effect. My first instinct was to dismember the German word, which was a bad idea. Wiki told me about the relevant meaning.

Yes, that is a possibility about what I may have observed.

Let's see. I should produce the same efffect by jamming the hot end into a tight insulating hole. Shouldn't be too hard to test subjectively. My guess -- there is more than that involved. But just speculation so far. I haven't even proved my initial observation.