Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:42:24 -0700
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <rich...@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Distribution Amp project
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
<time-nuts@febo.com>

Dave M wrote:

I haven't been able to find schematics for the Extron DA, but according to
the author's discussion, it seems to be very similar to the DA circuit
schematics at http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/IsolationAmplifiers.html.  I
haven't had time to reverse engineer the circuit in my Extron DA, but it
surely would be nice to avoid it if possible. Anyone have a schematic, or a
source for it?

In the KO4BB citation, the common base discrete amps are going to give
considerably better performance than the video distribution amplifier
you were asking about.

Rick Karlquist N6RK

Thanks for that, rick. I know that the KO4BB circuits will be much quieter than the Extron DA, but since I already have one of the Extron units, I was hoping to hear from someone who had put the described project through a bit of testing, just to see how good or bad it really is. Guess I'll have to do a bit of experimentation to determine its suitability for my small lab. As I said in my original post, I only need to distribute a few standard frequencies; not timing. If it doesn't add a significant amount of noise, it might suffice until I run across a better DA at a good price.

Thanks for all the responses.
Dave M
A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.