On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:27:32 +0200, Arnold Tibus wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:10:36 +0000, Mark Sims wrote:

>>Alas,  if there was only an FM to R...  there is some useful information in
>>the revision history/comments near the beginning of the file heather.cpp

>>The OSC graph defaults to OFF because it tends to be a very jagged and noisy
>>looking graph that gets rather annoyingly in the way of things.  The next rev
>>of the program has a display filtering option that makes that plot look a lot
>>more tame.

>>The OSC param is shown in PPB in the status info at the top of the screen
>>since that is the way it comes into the program.   It is shown in PPT in the
>>plots since that gives values that are much easier read against the scale
>>divisions on the screen.   I have considered converting to PPT in the status
>>info,   can't remember why it stayed PPB...

>>----------------------------------------

>>RTFM comes to mind:-)

>Mark,

>personally I have some promlems with the expressions as in LH
>ppb, ppt etc. used because there are different meanings about
>around the world and this is therefore misleading, error-prone.
>If I search in the Internet I do find lots of discussions about.
>Is there no way for an improvement, no standardization?

>I learned that in Germany (and all over continental Europe?)
>1 thousend = 1.000                             = E3
>1 million = 1.000.000                  = E6
>1 milliard = 1.000.000.000                     = E9
>1 billion = 1.000.000.000.000                  = E12
>1 billiard = 1.000.000.000.000.000             = E15
>1 trillion = 1.000.000.000.000.000.000         = E18
>1 trilliard = 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000    = E21
>and so on with
>quartrillion, quartrilliard, quintillion, quintilliard, sextillion,
>sextilliard....

>and in the US and some more countries it is
>million = 1,000,000
>billion = 1,000,000,000
>trillion = 1,000,000,000,000
>and further ...? ( fantastillions acc. Donald Duck ;-))  )

>wouldn't it be more scientific and less error-prone  to agree at least to
>xE-3   instead of      (m)
>xE-6   instead of ppm  (µ)
>xE-9   instead of ppb  (n)
>xE-12  instead of ppt  (p)
>xE-15  instead of pp? etc.     (f)
>xE-18                  (a)
>(how do one express parts per mili...(E-3)?)

>or if not wanted perhaps then this way :
>x10^-6
>x10^-9
>x10^-12
>etc.

>or could one type eg. m, µ, p, f, a for milli, mikro, nano; pico, femto, atto?

>When used these numbers in calculations we anyway have to convert
>these ppm, ppb, ppt etc. to scientific numbers using exponents
>There are too often discussions and misunderstandings
>because the ignored case sensitivity of units (b for bit, B for Byte,
>m for milli, M for Mega...).

> [...]

I wanted to know where the difference of Million and Milliard and
Billion is coming from. I found a good summary here
http://eyeful-tower.com/muse/billion.htm

Both (systems) were invented by the French, but the British and
Americans do use differnt systems ... isn't it dangerous?

Depts should be shiftet from UK to US -
and the deposits vice versa - wouldn't it be a good deal? ;-)

Arnold