Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

Good point, pretty much everything I worry about is timing to or from an external pin.
Once it's "inside" it's all clocked to the global clock(s).
If you look at the modern families, you no longer have "only" clocking on both edges... but even higher rates.

The I/O-block will clock in both directions. The trouble is when you want to do time-error for TIC designs, because you want to expose the edge-to-clock errors. To handle that, you want to steer that part of the logic to specific locations routing-wise near the pins, and naturally have selected pin-locations such that you achieve good internal routing. Keeping clear from other signals helps.

These are not hard things to do, you just need to think a little about it, apply common sense and find a way to achieve it in the tools.

If you have the wrong placement or design, you can get severe degradation as a result. I think one really has to fail to learn just what things are important and learn from that.

I will not say I am excelling at it, I have just a basic idea of timing, SI-issues etc. but it gives me a rough idea of where to start at least.

I should do some more FPGA projects. I have been way too lazy.