Hal Murray wrote:
jim...@earthlink.net said:
The Chilean earthquake changed the angular rotation rate (or, probably  more
accurately, changed the direction of the axis of rotation as well) of the earth a small amount, as do most large earthquakes.

Has anybody measured that?

I don't think you can measure it directly.. it's way smaller than lots of other effects

Is there a good URL on this? (predictions if not data) All I've found so far is a small NASA press release predicting 1.26 microseconds per day:
  http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth-20100301.html
(and a zillion news sources repeating it)

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-071&rn=news.xml&rst=2504

I remember reading something fairly detailed..it might have been on a newsgroup at work.I work at JPL, and Richard Gross is in a section with a lot of people I work with at JPL, so it might have been discussed at lunch. I'll see if I can find out

You could probably send him an email and ask..
richard.gr...@jpl.nasa.gov

heck, he might be lurking on this very list..

Day length is one of his things
trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/18309/1/99-1782.pdf
trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/18398/1/99-1877.pdf
trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/12097/1/02-0952.pdf

1 microsecond/day is 1 part in 1E11.

---------

From a friend in radio astronomy (VLBI):

They had a lot of the right instruments in the right place.

  Graph of position (3 meters!):
    http://ivsopar.obspm.fr/earth/tigo

  Description of the  TIGO package:
    http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/lw12/docs/Riepl_Tigo.pdf