On 06/12/2010 02:33 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

jim...@earthlink.net said:
The Chilean earthquake changed the angular rotation rate (or, probably  more
accurately, changed the direction of the axis of rotation as well)
of the earth a small amount, as do most large earthquakes.

Has anybody measured that?

Is there a good URL on this?  (predictions if not data)  All I've found so
far is a small NASA press release predicting 1.26 microseconds per day:
   http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth-20100301.html
(and a zillion news sources repeating it)

1 microsecond/day is 1 part in 1E11.

---------

 From a friend in radio astronomy (VLBI):

They had a lot of the right instruments in the right place.

Indeed.

   Graph of position (3 meters!):
     http://ivsopar.obspm.fr/earth/tigo

3 meters in one direction and 60 in another.

   Description of the  TIGO package:
     http://cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov/lw12/docs/Riepl_Tigo.pdf

Nice system. How do I get one on the back yard?

6 m VLBI antenna, 50 cm SLR scope, two H-masers, 2 Caesium beams, 4 Z-12 with choke ring antennas, UPSs, diesels, staff meeting room, 2 workshops. Accelerometers, metrological station...

   Letter from the director:
     http://www.expres-eu.org/Chile_06032010.html

No progress report from that site what I could see.